Kauri Breeding and Partnerships Workshop
Dates: 21 – 23 August 2018
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Venue: Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort, 77 Robinson Avenue, Holden’s Bay, Rotorua
The HTHF programme is an MBIE funded ‘Enabling Technologies’ programme now in its final year. Our team are excited to showcase the developments made in the fight against Phytophthora particularly with radiata pine, kauri and apple.
HTHF work with kaurilands mana whenua groups in the search for resilience to kauri dieback has led us to a series of key questions:
- Where do we go from here?
- What do we want for kauri over the next 50 years?
- Is a breeding programme a possibility?
- What does that look like?
- Is that what we want?
Activities and presentations on Day 1 and Day 2 will give you plenty to think about in preparation for ‘A roadmap for kauri forest partnerships’ workshop on Day 3.
Who should attend?
The organisers welcome participants from a wide range of backgrounds such as kaur land owners and growers, forest industry, science researchers, regional and government representatives.
Day One: Tuesday 21st August
10.30am Pohiri venue at Scion (49 Sala Street, Rotorua).
12.00 pm Leave Scion for Ngati Whare Indigenous Nursery, Minginui.
4.00pm Return from Minginui. Drop offs at Scion and Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort
Day Two: Wednesday 22nd August
8.00 pm Registrations and coffee @ Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort
8.30 pm Welcome and opening speeches
Showcasing enabling technologies
1.00 pm Visit to Scion Nursery
3.00 pm Opportunities and case studies @ Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort
6.00 pm Pre dinner refreshments
6.45 pm Conference dinner
Day Three: Thursday 23rd August
9.00 pm A roadmap for kauri forest partnerships workshop
3.30 pm Workshop and conference close
Full conference registration (Tues 21st Aug – Thurs 23rd Aug) $195.00
The full conference registration package includes:
- Day 1: Pohiri and indigenous nursery visit 21 Aug 2018, 10:30am-4:30pm
- Day 2: HTHF enabling technologies showcase and tour of Scion nursery 22 Aug 2018, 9:00am-4:30pm
- Day 2 Conference Dinner 22 Aug 2018, 6:30pm-10:00pm
- Day 3: Roadmap for kauri forest partnerships 23 Aug 2018, 8:30am-3:00pm
- Please note: registration includes daytime catering as stated in the programme, but does not include meals on Tuesday or Thursday.
- Day 1: Pohiri and indigenous nursery visit 21 Aug 2018, 10:30am-4:30pm – FREE
- Day 2: HTHF enabling technologies showcase and tour of Scion nursery 22 Aug 2018, 9:00am-4:30pm. Including lunch. $60.00 per person
- Day 2: Conference Dinner 22 Aug 2018, 6:30pm-10:00pm. $75.00 per person
- Day 3: Roadmap for kauri forest partnerships 23 Aug 2018, 8:30am-3:00pm. Including lunch. $60.00 per person
REGISTER ONLINE – Registrations due by 6th August 2018
The conference venue Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort is located lake edge at Holdens Bay not far from the Rotorua airport. Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort has a limited number of motel rooms available and there are other accommodation options available within walking distance:
For those with a vehicle and who are keen to be closer to town and Scion there is the Holiday Inn Rotorua
Download the flier including the agenda [last updated 13 July 2018]